- All essays are to be typed in 12 point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins, and with citations and other formatting also done in MLA documentation style. (Note: you may use another documentation style, such as APA, but you must notify me at the start of the semester what you plan to us.)
- You must write and submit your essays via KSU Google Docs.
- Be sure to put your last name and the assignment in the document label (upper left corner), for example: Smith’s Essay One, or Jones’ Essay Two.
- You are also encouraged to save a copy of the paper (download it) to your personal computer.
Essay Four DIRECTIONS:
- Write an essay, that is 2000-4000 words (6-11 pages) long. In your paper, be sure to make extensive use of the following:
- the book, Margot Lee Shetterly’s Hidden Figures
- at least two works listed on the lesson page for Hidden Figures
- at least two works from any of the topics:
- Topic 1: Total Eclipse!
- Topic 2: Propaganda, Free Speech, and Satire
- Topic 3: The Science and Art of Language and Communication
- at least one work from this list:
- Alice Walker’s “In Search of Our Mothers’ Gardens”
- Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue”
- Mary Louise Pratt’s “Arts of the Contact Zone”
- Iris M. Young’s “Five Faces of Oppression”
- Michel Foucault’s “Panopticism”
- Thus, your essay will make extensive use of at least six works, total.
The topic is open: the central focus of your topic must be the book and other seven works that you have selected. The challenge is to develop thesis statement that unites these six works together into a meaningful way. If you need help, I am here: feel free to email me or to sign up for an online chat via KSU Google Hangout.